Monday, July 17, 2017

Sunwarrior St George 70.3 Ironman relay team

This was such a FUN experience! Since I did Oceanside half-ironman and was signed up for Boulder Ironman the next month, I was happy to join a relay team for STG half-ironman. (I have an article I wrote about my team members at the end). I was SO excited for our team. Steve is a total STUD on a bike and Amber is the best runner we have here in St George. She was even in the Olympic trials a couple years ago! So needless to say, I felt honored to even be considered to be on the team.
SunWarrior has been a fun experience this year! I love the people we have on the team- very hard working, fun people.

Steve, me, Shawn and Shaneen


Amber is the sweetest! She gave these to Steve and I when we checked in!

Our team

I love the buzz before a race! Steve and Amber picked me up and we headed to the lake! I was ready to swim! I've been really consistent with swimming the last 3 years, so I'm finally feeling like a confident swimmer. I was ready to put it to the test!

We got Steve all setup in transition with his bike and they headed down to the swim start with me. It was so nice of them to stay and support me before and after I swam!


At the finish

Waiting at the finish line for friends/clients to finish

Oh, I love Tiffany. She's one of most fun clients. Her family always volunteers for the swim start and wetsuit stripping. She's so full of personality, I love seeing her early when the nerves are kicking in.

Whipping that wetsuit off

SO many bikes!!

The swim went really well for me. Steve was pretty intense about our team winning it, so I really wanted to hold up my end. He passed me a caffeinated GU before hand, which was a mistake before the swim. You already have nerves going like crazy, face in the water, and it made my heart beat a million miles for hour. Once I settled in a rhythm I felt great and pushed myself as hard as I could. At the last turn, I threw up just a little bit and kept on going. It was really weird, but I knew that I was giving it what I had. I was very happy with my 36 minute swim! I was hoping for under 40 so I was thrilled! 

The results were odd. Steve had a killer ride, until the end. We didn't see him when he should have came in. A few people came in saying they saw him on the side of the road. He finally called me, and with terrible service told me he'd been in a wreck and he cut out. I ran over to tell Amber and then ran up the street to see if I could find him and make sure he was okay. By the time I ran a mile up, I saw him coming past. I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but I think he's cockiness got the best of him- he didn't hydrate or do any nutrition so he cramped up real bad and had to stop. He still got a good time, but unfortunately cost us a placing finish. Amber ran an amazing half marathon on a tough course in the high heat, so I was super impressed with how we ended overall.

Aaron is so cute. He always hides cute little notes in my things that I find once I get to the race. This was in my wetsuit sleeve.

It was a really fun experience overall. It was frustrating to have Steve been careless on his end, but he still finished well and we were glad to have done it as a team. I waited at the finish for a few hours to see my client Carol come in. It was her first half ironman and at 62, it was pretty awesome she decided to do it! I was proud of her for accomplishing this amazing race!


Part of my agreement is to write articles for SunWarrior's health hub website. Here is the first article I wrote about this experience. 

WHY NOT TRI?!

Am I dreaming? I feel like pinching myself. How have I come this far that I’m even considered to be a part of this team? Dream big, set goals, overcome fear and DO it.

I’m participating in the St George 70.3 Ironman this year with two fellow Sunwarrior race team athletes. These aren’t just your average athletes. These two have been two of the most influential athletes to me since I moved to St. George four years ago. I am no stranger to triathlon, having done a few Olympics and plenty of sprint distances in a variety of states I’ve lived in. I used to attend a triathlon class up by Seattle every Tuesday, and along with other classmates, dream big dreams of an Ironman one day. I never really thought it’d become a reality.

Fast forward to my first year in St George. I’m sitting in the front row of Steve Olsen’s spin class on a December morning, completely motivated. In his class, he often plays clips of motivational speakers that brings a deeper reason for pushing your body to your limits. One of the clips talked about dreams not just happening, you have to MAKE them happen. Don’t wait, tackle it NOW. Steve set the stage and provided the atmosphere for me to dream big in that class. I came home, dropped on the chair by my husband and said, “I think I’m going to sign up for the Ironman next year,” amazed of what was coming out of my mouth.  I didn’t have a bike, a wetsuit, a tri suit, and hadn’t been swimming. I wanted to make my dreams happen, and that wouldn’t happen unless I make it happen by taking a chance. I signed up, thanks to Steve’s class giving me the push over the edge.  Years later, he’s never stopped motivating me during spin class.

Within the first year I moved here, I began hearing about his amazing Amber Green, who would win these races with such amazing time! I never saw or met her since I was always in the same races, somewhere way behind her. As a runner myself, I was star struck when I first met Amber. She was not only an amazing runner, but a mom of 3 boys (like myself), a humble and very sweet person with strong values and an amazing story of how she’s improved, overcome and succeeded in running. Watching her qualify for the Olympic trials and compete on such an amazing stage was incredible. She’s the type of athlete you love to cheer for. She’s inspired and motivated me to become a better runner, and most importantly, to be cheerful and optimistic.

Here I am, three years later with three 70.3 Ironman’s completed, one full Ironman done, podiumed a hand full of local triathlons, on the same team with the very athletes that gave me the motivation and inspiration to dream big enough to take action and go for it. I am forever grateful for the athletes on the Sunwarrior Race Team who show up, day after day, train and work towards their goals with such passion and discipline, while juggling daily life. 

I’m going to soak up these amazing moments this year racing with these two incredible athletes. I’m happy to be going into this race feeling healthy, mentally and physically. Thanks to Sunwarrior for providing top notch products to help me train day in and day out, and push myself to the level I want to be. If I am dreaming, I’m sure to find out once my face drops in that 60-degree water in beautiful Sand Hollow reservoir!

No comments: